Sunday, July 08, 2007

Faith, Poetry and the Matchbook Story

Police-Writers.com is a website that lists state and local police officers who have written books. The website added three authors: Donald Dinninger, Tom Guthery and Eli Miletich.

Sergeant
Donald Dinninger has served on the Saginaw Police Department for eighteen years. The department has awarded him two meritorious awards and two distinguished service awards. He was honored as policeman of the year in 1985. Don has acquired a master’s degree from the University of Detroit and has earned a ministerial certificate from the Berean School of the Bible in Springfield, Missouri. Over the years, Don has worked as patrolman, detective, training sergeant, and director of public affairs as well as a missionary to Guatemala.

Donald Dinninger is the author of Shield of Faith. Donald Dinninger said of his book, “Reviewing the past sixteen years on the police force, I noticed a definite marked difference in my policing techniques, before and after I asked the Lord into my life. The tragedies I was witnessing and the subsequent trauma in my life were leading me down a road to becoming cynical, caustic and calloused. I would like to describe some of the significant events that paved the way to my realizing I needed Christ in my life. I would note that these will only begin to scratch the surface of my profession. I’ve been through many more trying experiences, but now I’m not alone. I’ve got a Protector who won’t leave me nor forsake me. He comforts me when I need comforting and strengthens me when I need strengthening.”

Tom Guthery is a former police officer for the Bloomington Police Department (Minnesota). Tom Guthery is the author of Walk Awhile With Me: Poems and Thoughts.

Eli J. Miletich, a veteran of thirty three years service with the Duluth Police Department (Minnesota). He worked in every division gaining a broad perspective of police work, and human nature with it's failures as well as successes. Appointed Police Chief in 1982, he adapted the nation's first ever policy of Mandated Arrest for Domestic Abuse for which he was commended by the President of the United States. He was appointed to the Minnesota Police Officers Standards and Training Board by Governor Rudy Perpich serving eight years and was its chairman. He also was a Vice President of the Minnesota Chiefs of Police Association.

After retirement,
Eli Miletich was recruited by a friend, a retired FBI agent, to serve in Bosnia-Herzegovina with the United Nations International Police Task Force to train and monitor police in that war torn nation. He served one year in a sometimes-hectic environment, the native land of his parents. Eli Miletich is the author of The Matchbook and Other Cop Stories.

Police-Writers.com now hosts 620
police officers (representing 270 police departments) and their 1324 books in six categories, there are also listings of United States federal law enforcement employees turned authors, international police officers who have written books and civilian police personnel who have written books.

No comments: