Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Safety Seminar with “TEETH”!

It was billed as “Grand Master- Gary Alexander & I.A.M.A. Board of Directors Hall of Fame Banquet & Awards Ceremony. On Nov. 17th, the International Association of Martial Arts inducted several martial art icons, including legendary practitioner/actor, Chuck Norris.

Area martial arts Master,
Larry Waimon, was “pleasantly shocked” when “Shihan”, (Grand Master), Alexander notified me that I would be receiving a Hall of Fame award”; (the event held in Woodbridge, NJ). The award was presented to Waimon for his 40+-year involvement in the martial arts, specifically in the category of: Sr. Master, Police Tactics & Strategies. Waimon was granted title of Sr. Police Academy Instructor by the Chief of Police Association in Essex County, NJ, back in the mid-70’s.

Under the private tutelage of the 1964 Olympic Judo Champion & Coach, Momoru Shimamoto, Waimon received his Black Belt in 1975. “Once I started my
police career, I quickly grasped the notion that the “bad-guys”, weren’t going to bow to me before whacking me on the noggin with a crow bar! I quickly changed my style to Goshin Justsu, which literally means- “Self Defense”, and is what the Japanese Police train in. Ever since, I’ve shared my skills & teachings with thousands of police recruits & veterans. Though never my livelihood, I have always maintained a nucleus of students, mostly comprised of “former” battered wives, victims of rape and molestation, bullied kids, or simply those who couldn’t afford the tuition for such training… Since retiring to the area, my focus has always been to make “difference”, not to make money. It remains my intention to educate ALL area citizens, and have furnished Safety/Prevention seminars all throughout both Warren & Washington County. From the mid-80’s on, I’ve provided such training at most area high schools & civic organizations and “always” remain available to furnish this for any group who request it; (there’s “never” a fee).

The ideology here is one initially fostered back in 1860 by Charles Dickens: “Prevention is better than Cure”, i.e., if you can “prevent” an attack or altercation, you can avoid the need to address a “physical” response. All seminar participants are “astonished” to realize how simple it is to “avoid” tragedy, and physicality/ability & technique are not the significant part of my presentations. Attendees are “astonished” to realize that about 90% of all assaults can be either avoided all together, or greatly mitigated by such “awareness” training! Most importantly, I teach all to adapt a “proactive” vs. “reactive” mind-set…

My “promise” to all who attend, is that they will know “more” about self-empowerment & defense upon leaving the event, than they knew coming into it! All have a great time, and no one ever gets hurt!

That said, on December 15th. I plan to offer the most ambitious seminar & fundraiser I’ve ever involved myself in. This will be a “family oriented event, and is neither gender nor age specific. A $10 per person donation will be appreciated, and for a family of up to 4 members, $25 is requested. 100% of funds raised will be benefiting a Gulf War Vet, Christopher Gibeault of Glens Falls. I read his recent commentary in the Post Star; it accentuated the “outrage” many of us feel re: how returning war vets are being treated, (or mis-treated re: their care or lack-there-of). Chris suffers from various injuries, but most notably, in inability to chew food. In part due to the ravages of Diabetes, he has few remaining teeth, and constant infection is adding to his suffering. My goal is to raise enough to pay for dentures; this cost is $2,400.

To help kick this effort off, I’ve already discovered some “heroes” in our midst, those who like myself, wish to offer more than mere kind words or outrage. Dan Saville of Glens Falls, a Trustee of the Eagles Club in So. Glens Falls, asked and received permission, “without charge”, to use the Eagles Club facility to hold the event. Additionally, the October fest Committee of American Legion Post 574 of Hudson Falls has pledged $200 towards this effort. But my dentist, Dr. Mitchell Cohen, (Lake George & Ft. Edward), truly has “stunned” me with his selflessness! Dr. Cohen, (a
Marine Vet himself), has already provided the initial assessment & has taken x-rays. He will take the impressions and extract his remaining teeth, & do all the periodic denture adjustments for the next 6 months, “without charge”!

For those wishing to attend this seminar on the 15th. The address is 80 Main Street, So Glens Falls; it will be held at 2:00pm and please call me for further details and to make reservations. I can be reached at: 761-6735. If you can’t make this event but wish to help, please feel free to call me. For any local companies who wish to offer such training for their staff, again, I urge you to call. Truly, this is a Win/Win event for both participants and this deserving Vet. It’s “our” chance to finally do more for these returning veterans than to merely offer “verbal” support or appall over the way they’re being neglected…

No comments: