Saturday, June 14, 2008

Introduction

Hi, everyone.

Thank you, Mr. Foster, for inviting me.

I live in southwestern lower Michigan. I've worked in law enforcement and security most of my life. I went through the police academy in the fall of 1980 and started a career in law enforcement by working par time while in the academy. The department I worked for was small, just the Chief, two full time and one part time officers. When I graduated from the academy I was placed on the full time roster.All together I worked fifteen full time years and five part time years. I held the positions as sergeant, training officer, assistant chief and did some limited work as the unofficial department detective.

To summarize my work, I was just your typical small town cop.

I enjoyed my work and did my best to serve my community.

I would like to say, in support of all those working in small departments, that small departments and their staff are the backbone of our country's law enforcement team, and far too often receive not enough credit for what they do.

My other accomplishments were:I served a total of six years in the US Army.I held a license as a private investigator for six years.I served my community as a council member and then as village president.
I am a husband, father and grandfather.
I would like to genuinely think of myself as a writer, but I know my limitations and do the best I can.
I have two books out, Dreams In Blue: The Real Police and Rubal. The first is a non-fiction; the second a fiction based on fact. * I know, "The real police," part has already been criticized by a few who've said, "Who the hell does he think he is, claiming to be the real police?!"
Allow me to explain the subtitle: During my years of work as a police officer I would occasionally get called to a address where the complainant, upon seeing me, would say, "I don't want you, I want the real police." In my case they usually meant the state police.
Anyway, I also have eleven short stories out. Anyone wanting to view my work just Google, Richard Neal Huffman.

Thank you for letting me share this.
Rick Huffman

No comments: