Thursday, August 11, 2011

Philadelphia Man Charged with Identity Theft and Mail Fraud

David Ballard was charged in an indictment with aggravated identity theft and mail fraud in connection with an attempted scheme to defraud more than 1,300 individuals, announced United States Attorney Zane David Memeger. The indictment alleges that between January 2010 and April 2011, Ballard obtained names, addresses, dates of birth, Social Security numbers and other identifying information for more than 1,300 and, using the stolen information, opened credit cards in their names which he then used to order items over the Internet. The items—for the most part expensive electronic equipment—were then shipped to the individuals whose information was used to purchase them. Ballard would allegedly seek to intercept the shipments before they arrived at their intended destination. The items that Ballard allegedly caused to be delivered were valued at more than $55,000.

Ballard is charged with eight counts of mail fraud and five counts of aggravated identity theft.

Information Regarding the Defendant
Name: David Ballard
Address: Philadelphia, PA
Year of Birth: 1976

If convicted, the defendant faces a maximum sentence of 170 years’ imprisonment, including a mandatory term of two years’ imprisonment, a three-year term of supervised release, a fine of up to $3.25 million, and a $1300 special assessment.

The case was investigated by the Philadelphia Police Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. It is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Lauren M. Ouziel.

2 comments:

Jenine Huxtable said...

I thank you for al the information you have provided.I am an Austailian,female 35 years old.I believe that I have been emialing a man for the last 4 months by the name of sgt Morris Jared.I beleive that this man is taking his identity.Names and comections to remittance unit in US and the USA army personel.He now wants me to send him some money and he has got my phone number and address.The so call remittance unit also has called me in two occasions,he did not sound like an American at all.I also have photo's of sgt Morris Jared that this man has sent me.
This situation I am in is happening right now

Jenine.

Heidi said...

I have a friend that was affect by a Sgt, Jared Morris just as you described. He claims to have parcels that need shipped and needed her to send cash to this place in TX to get the parcels from UK. I caught on and brought her attention to this. If you have any information you would like to compare, let me know. Thanks